Make this your go to Tsoureki recipe every year. Tsoureki is one of the most made baked goods during the Easter period along with Koulourakia. It symbolises the Resurrection of Christ as the dough rises after it has been shaped taking on its true form. The red egg placed is also very symbolic of the blood of Jesus Christ and his resurrection once it is cracked.
Perfumed with mastica, the famous resin from the island of Chios and mahlepi, an essence drawn from the seeds of Mediterranean wild cherries. It’s subtly sweet and always perfect.
This recipe has been documented to be made by hand and without the use of appliances. It encourages us to create it Tsoureki the way our grandparents did.
Some tips when baking your Tsoureki.
- A stand mixer can be used to incorporate ingredients and knead the dough before the first proof.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature, apart from the lukewarm water.
- Ensure the instant dry yeast is fresh or newly opened.
- When allowing the yeast to activate in the water and sugar, it should bubble on the surface.
- The first proof can take up to three hours, temperature and weather affect the rise. You can turn your oven on for 2-3 minutes, then turn it off. Place the bowl inside the warm oven covered with a towel (ensuring it is not too hot).
- After the first proof and the dough is removed from the bowl, do not knead it. Only divide it into three equal pieces and pull and stretch it to create long pieces for the plait. Pulling and stretching will help the Tsoureki get its signature stringiness when baked.
- If you wish to bake your Tsoureki with a red egg, place it into the dough after you’ve created your desired shape before the second proof.
- The second proof is important. Ensure you notice a rise in the shape before baking.
- Quantities for mastica and mahelpi can be altered according to your preference.
Tea Towel Length: 70cm, Width: 50cm – Natural fibre content can cause some shrinkage after washes.
Care instructions: 100% cotton. Initial hand wash in cold water. Do not bleach or tumble dry. Warm wash and iron on reverse.
Designed and printed in Australia